Are you going to give your spouse to Pharaoh?
Today I am going to be talking Interval Training…also known as…HIIT. HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training. HIIT is NOT EASY, but super effective for losing fat when combined with strength training.
When most people think of cardio, they think of long slow jogs or 30 minutes on the elliptical or stair master. This is called Steady State Cardio and while this isn’t bad, it is not nearly as efficient or effective as HIIT, but it is much easier.
So the questions becomes…what do you want? Do you want faster results that require only 10 minutes? Or do you want the longer and “easier” way out that will take anywhere from 30 – 45 minutes for the same effect? I am going to assume you want more bang for your time. I will tell you how to perform and use HIIT in a sec, but first a story about Abraham choosing the easy way out, which is a no no.
So, Abraham finally makes it into the land God promised him and a severe famine enters the land. I am sure Abraham was really happy about that by the way. Regardless, the famine is so bad Abraham feels they must flee to Egypt to be saved. The only problem is that Sarai, Abraham’s wife is extremely beautiful (I know real bummer…). And Abraham just knows once the Egyptians see Sarai, they will kill him, to get to her. So, Abraham chooses the easy way out and asks Sarai to say she is his brother hoping that instead of killing him they will let him live.
Sarai does as Abraham asks, and as he predicted the Egyptians thinks she is the finest thing since sliced bread (actually, I don’t know if they had sliced bread, but you get my point). Sarai is so beautiful that Pharaoh himself decides to marry her. As such, Pharaoh gives Abraham a lot of riches and he becomes wealthy…but…all of Pharaoh’s house becomes sick because God didn’t want Sarai to be with Pharaoh. Plus, Pharaoh ends up finding the truth out any way and kicks them both out of Egypt into the famine any way.
So, are you going to pull an Abraham or are you going to go all out ? Abraham chose easy street during the famine but ended up on skid row.
In the same way, steady state cardio may feel and look sexy and easy, but it isn’t as effective. Instead, choose to do it the honest and right way ;-). Which I would argue is HIIT.
Follow these instructions.
- First, perform HIIT immediately after your strength training session. This will only add 10 minutes to your workout session, instead of 30 to 45 minutes.
- Second, choose one of the following exercises. Rower, Running (not jogging, RUNNING), Kettlebell Swings, Ball Slams, Burpees, or even a Bike.
- Third, set a timer for 60 seconds and then work as hard and as fast as you can at whatever exercise you choose. YOU MUST GIVE 100%, if you don’t you will be giving your spouse to Pharaoh, lol. Don’t take the easy way out! Work hard the entire 60 seconds.
- Fourth, once 60 seconds is up, rest for 90 seconds.
- Fifth, repeat that process until 10 minutes is up (4 intervals).
Short, simple, and effective.
Go be awesome!
KELLEN LAKE – If it were easy, everyone would do it! You want something uncommon, you must do the uncommon.