It’s spring right?! Now that the weather is nice, not too cold, not too hot, but just right, you may be tempted to forgo your strength training and head outdoors for some aerobic exercise in the fresh air. USER BEWARE! If you quit your strength training, you will be giving up more than you bargained for.
So, why should you strength train?
Strength training is critical for true fat-loss. Without it, your muscles will slowly go away (atrophy). No biggy you think. Wrong, if you aren’t building muscle, you are likely losing it and its calorie burning power. To make it even worse, if you are around 25 or older, you are definitely losing muscle, unless you are working hard to build it. Beginning at around age 25, we begin naturally losing muscle mass every decade. In short, if you don’t use it, you lose it (huge frowning face).
Don’t believe me? Have you ever broken your arm or leg and had to wear a cast for a few weeks? Remember what happened when the cast was removed? Let me guess, your arm or leg was a lot smaller and felt weak. That is because just a few weeks of disuse caused the muscles to begin to pack up their bags and leave, (atrophy).
Here are just “SOME” of the benefits of strength training:
1. Stops muscle loss and helps begin the rebuilding process.
2. Makes daily activities easier, from carrying groceries to rearranging your furniture.
3. Gives you a sculpted look.
4. Increases bone density, giving you a strong, stable skeleton.
5. Improves balance and coordination.
6. Prevents decay of the pads between your bones, so that you do not hurt when you move.
7. Causes the tendons to grow deeper into your bones, reducing the chance of tearing.
8. Builds muscles which will burn more calories, even while you are resting.
9. Reduces blood pressure by making your heart stronger.
10. Increases your metabolism.
11. Decreases blood sugar, which helps prevent insulin resistance (the precursor to diabetes).
12. Improves your aerobic capacity: the stronger your muscles, the better your endurance.
13. Gives you a general feeling of wellness and strength. If you are strong, you feel strong.
14. Makes you a better athlete: there is no substitute for strength!
15. Prevents the weak, frail “skinny-fat” look.
16. Raises your energy level. The more muscle you have, the less effort you have to exert and the more energy you have available.
17. Secures future protection against falls and fractures. If you age with dense bones, strong muscles and good balance, your risk of injury plummets.
18. Creates 22% more afterburn than aerobic exercise does. (Afterburn refers to the fat and calories that your body burns in the hours after you have finished your workout.)
19. I could go on, but you get the point!
Still tempted to give up strength training?
I hope not! At Just You Fitness Winston Salem, we help ordinary people lose the jiggle in their middle. We do this by creating a customized habit based nutritional and strength workout plan offered in a private setting that is completely focused on Just YOU. Want to schedule a free session? There are only 5 spots open for the upcoming month. Secure your spot soon, before time runs out.
Now go be awesome!